Until Help Arrives
After any water damage situation, your primary focus should be safety.
- ● Is it safe to stay in my house?
- ● Electrical and slippery hazards are central concerns.
- ● Only do activities that are safe for you to execute.
- ● Wet materials can be extremely heavy – be careful!
What to do after flooding:
- ● Remove excess water by mopping.
- ● Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removing lamps and other items.
- ● Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- ● Place aluminum foul or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- ● Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summertime.
- ● Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- ● Remove pieces of art to a safe, dry place.
- ● Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT to do after flooding:
- ● Don’t leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs/leather goods.
- ● Don’t leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- ● Don’t use your household vacuum to remove water.
- ● Don’t use household appliances.
- ● Don’t turn on ceiling fan if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.