Windstorms can be dangerous because oftentimes other weather forces are involved and they can be quite unpredictable. Severe wind, hail, flying debris and tornadoes can cause damage to roofs, siding, paint, windows and more. It is most important to take appropriate cover during a storm and if your home is affected by a storm, take precaution when accessing damage. It is important to file a home insurance claim following a storm as wind damage can cause further complications if not addressed. Also, most insurance companies limit the amount of time after a storm that a claim can be filed.
Until Help Arrives
After any wind damage situation, your primary focus should be safety.
- ● Is it safe to stay in the house?
- ● Electrical and “slip and fall” hazards are central concerns.
- ● Only do activities that are safe for you to perform.
Signs of Storm Damage
- ● Split seams
- ● Torn, broken, cracked or missing shingles
- ● Missing sections of roof
- ● Tree limb on roof
- ● Dented shingles, vents or gutters
- ● Leaks in roof or ceiling
- ● Shattered windows
- ● Frame damage
Make sure you inspect your outdoor AC/HVAC units and other appliances after a wind or hailstorm.